Domestic Energy Performance Certificates

Why do you need and Energy Performance Certificate?

Energy Performance Certificates are required for sale or rental of all domestic properties in the UK.

A Domestic Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is required for sale or rental of all domestic properties in the UK.

At the Smith Emsley partneship, we provide a quality driven service and a quick turn-around time.

The cost for a domestic EPC is £50 – £60 + vat dependent upon location.
Contact us to enquire or book an appointment.

Domestic Energy certificates

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is:

  • Built
  • Sold
  • Rented

You must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property to sell or rent.

In Scotland, you must display the EPC somewhere in the property, eg in the meter cupboard or next to the boiler.

What does an EPC contain?

  • Information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs
  • Recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.

Buildings that don’t need an EPC

These include:

  • Places of worship
  • Temporary buildings that will be used for less than 2 years
  • Stand-alone buildings with total useful floor space of less than 50 square metres
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy
  • Some buildings that are due to be demolished
  • Holiday accommodation that’s rented out for less than 4 months a year or is let under a licence to occupy
  • Listed buildings – you should get advice from your local authority conservation officer if the work would alter the building’s character
  • Residential buildings intended to be used less than 4 months a year
Contact the Smith Emsley Partnership